I love baked bread! It’s one of those comfort foods that I can eat all day long!
Recipe (makes 2 loafs):
4 cups all purpose flour
2 1/2 tablespoons sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 1/2 teaspoons instant yeast
5 tablespoons butter or margarine (becel butter preferably)
1 3/4 cups COLD water (adjust as needed)
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- Mix flour, sugar, salt, yeast together in a large bowl
- Place margarine or butter in a microwavable bowl and place in microwave for approximately 20 seconds (just enough to soften)
- Pour some water in soften butter bowl (this will cool down the butter and allow the yeast to rise efficiently)
- Use hands and squeeze that butter in the flour – mix really well
- Add water slowly and begin to knead for at least 8 minutes (this guarantee’s a soft loaf)
- Cover bowl with a kitchen cloth, towel or saran wrap
- Let dough rest to rise for 50 minutes
- Cut dough in two equal parts and form loaves
- Grease two bread pans with butter
- Place loaves in bread pans
- Brush oil on top each loaf – cover with kitchen cloth and let rise for 40 minutes
- Preheat oven at 375 degrees
- Bake for 30 minutes
- Let cool and enjoy!
Tip: Tap bottom of loaf to ensure thoroughly baked bread. A hallow sound indicates that bread is baked, if not, no sound means it should bake some more.
Do not over bake or you will end up with dry loaves!